NEW DELHI: Director-General of World Health Organisation (WHO) Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus Monday said that there should be evidence-backed decisions and there was no need for steps that could unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade to check the spread of coronavirus in China.
“We call on all countries to implement decisions that are evidence-based and consistent,” Tedros told the WHO executive board. He also reiterated that the organisation has declared an international emergency.
Following the outbreak of deadly coronavirus last month that has led to close to 500 deaths and nearly 50,000 facing infection, according to unconfirmed figures, China has been facing acute international isolation with restrictions of travel.
People in as many as 25 countries are reported to be infected with the deadly virus. The symptoms of respiratory infection include fever, followed by a dry cough.
China, on the other hand, also accused the United States of fuelling panic.
On 30 January, the WHO declared health emergency worldwide after the virus outbreak. Meanwhile, the US asked its citizens under the age of 21 in China, to leave the country.
“This is the time for facts, not fear. This is the time for science, not rumours. This is the time for solidarity, not stigma,” the United Nations (UN) Sunday tweeted.
Hong Kong said it would seal 10 out of 13 border crossings with mainland China.