TORONTO: The first patient of a deadly coronavirus has been reported in Canada’s Toronto on Saturday after the outbreak emerged in China early this month, following which it has locked down several cities to prevent spread.
The man felt sick after his return to Canada on January 22, and is now being treated in a negative pressure room, with all necessary precautions and protocols are developed, Ontario’s chief medical officer of health, Dr. David Williams said.
The man has been admitted into Toronto’s Sunnybrook Hospital after his return from China’s Wuhan— a city where coronavirus first emerged.
Within a day of his return from China, the man became severely ill, director of Communicable Disease Control & Associate Medical Officer of Health for Toronto Public Health, Barbara Yaffe said in a press meet in Toronto.
The patient is under stable condition, according to the health authorities.
Nearly 1,400 cases have been reported as of Sunday morning in the Chinese cities with 45 people have died so far. The Chinese administration has closed down more than 10 cities impacting close to 50 million people to stay indoors.
Countries have issued health alerts at airports.
The coronavirus is considered to be originally transmitted from animals to human beings.